How we receive individual reconciliation?
- Prepare with an Examination of Conscience
This is a personal reflection of your life and is usually best done in the hour before you receive the Sacrament.
- Enter the Reconciliation room/space
This may be in a chapel, a confessional box or a room set aside for the sacrament in the presbytery. You can choose usually which you prefer: face to face or anonymity behind a screen.
- The priest will greet you and together you begin by praying the Sign of the Cross
He will invite you to trust in God. He may read a passage of scripture.
- You say, "Bless me Father for I have sinned.
It is _______ since my last confession …"
You nominate approx. how long it has been. It’s OK to say that it’s been so long you can’t remember and that you feel nervous!
- "These are my sins …”
Confess all the sins you are carrying, starting with the heaviest and proceeding to the more trivial. Be clear and brief in explaining any relevant details.
- Listen to the priest’s help and counsel and receive a relevant penance
Penance is an act of kindness or formal prayers to pray or both. Some formal prayers are included overleaf.
- The priest will ask you to express your sorrow, usually by making an Act of Contrition
Here are a few different ones to choose from; only choose one to say. Be and feel sorry as you speak…
"Oh my God, I am so sorry that I have sinned against you., because You are so good and with the help of your grace, I will try not to sin again."...
"God our Father, I thank You for loving me. I am sorry for all my sins, for what I have done and for what I have failed to do. I will sincerely try to love You and others in everything I do and say. Help me walk in your light today and always." ...
"Father, I have sinned against you and am not worthy to be called your son/daughter. Be merciful to me, a sinner." ...
"Lord God, in your goodness have mercy on me, do not look on my sins but take away all my guilt. Create in me a clean heart and renew within me an upright spirit." ...
- Receive absolution as the priest says, "I absolve you from your sins in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.” You respond by making the sign of the cross and saying "Amen"
The priest raises his hand in blessing over you as these words are prayed.
- The priest finishes by saying "Go in peace."
You complete the reception of the Sacrament by performing your penance as directed.
Some helpful prayers
The Lord’s Prayer
Our Father, Who art in heaven
Hallowed be Thy Name;
Thy Kingdom come,
Thy will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil. Amen
The Hail Mary
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed are you among women
and blessed it the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death. Amen